The Regional Controller is the point person for all financial and accounting activities at a regional level within the assigned Operations Group and reports to the General Manager. This position interacts directly with regional level management, including Project Executives and Project Managers, providing trusted insight into the financial health of project and the overall operations. The primary focus of this position includes evaluating project costs, data reporting/analysis for management, budgeting/forecasting and revenue recognition. The financial management and accounting staff report up to this position. This position has a responsibility to keep Operations Leadership Team and CFO informed of the operation’s financial performance and provides advice on all financial matters within the region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Leads and partners with other regional leaders, proactively plans, organizes, and executes financial objectives related to the regional and company strategic plan.
- Prepares overhead budgets by establishing schedules, collecting, analyzing and consolidating financial data in order to recommend the appropriate action plan.
- Leads regional project financial forecasting efforts, forecast reviews, use of historical and trending data to validate forecast, and follows company standards for cost and revenue reporting, including preparing, updating, and communicating the Operating Group’s three year forecast which includes back log projects, high potential project prospects, current project forecasts and all risks and opportunities.
- Calculates variances from the budget and reports significant issues to management.
- Provides financial analyses as needed for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Guides financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing accounting and related project controls policies and procedures.
- Evaluates, provides feedback, and validates project specific profit improvement plans.
- Calculates and issues financial and operating metrics.
- Develops and maintains all project and estimating labor rates.
- Recommends benchmarks against which to measure the performance of regional and project operations.
- Co-facilitates monthly Project Execution Assessment meetings with operations leader.
- Provides oversight and feedback to project teams to enables them to better understand and communicate financial reports and data.
- Oversees and coordinates construction accounting functions, including customer invoicing, accounts receivable and revenue, and supports preparation and aggregation of project cash flow projections on a monthly basis.
- Oversees and prepares the overall financial packages, P&L, G/L, and reviews appropriate general ledger entries and reconciliations and assist in maintaining overhead budget(s). Manage the month-end, quarterly and annual close processes across all project in the Operating Group and ensure proper integration into companywide reports.
- Performs in-depth analysis of financial and operational results to identify opportunities for improvement and proactively resolves problems. Reports and presents this information on a regular basis to Operating Group leadership. Participates in planning the objectives, methods and resources of short and long-range financial operations of Operations.
- Supports Operations team with decision making by assuring proper identification, quantification, and communication of financial risks and opportunities. Also supports team members by analyzing and reporting proper job cost information.
- Participates in the necessary cost evaluation, projection and analysis required for proper cost control and reporting, including the evaluation of current company reports and design of new reports to enhance reporting accuracy.
- Directs/assigns project and client audits when required.
- Plans and coordinates the staffing of field accounting/office management staffs for various large projects.
- Other duties, responsibilities, or activities may be assigned at any time.
- Drives continuous improvement throughout the Operating Group and promotes positive change. Able to identify and improve systems and procedures while maintaining attention to detail.
- Earns trust and credibility, displays excellent customer service skills and operational commitment and adherence from Operations staff to standard company processes.
- Builds the capability of the financial staff by recruiting, selecting, orientating, and training employees.
- Promotes financial staff job satisfaction and career development by coaching, mentoring, teaching, setting clear expectations, and monitoring.
- Demonstrates strong analytical, critical thinking and leadership abilities.
- Capability to handle multiple priorities with good organizational and time management skills.
- Advanced communication skills with ability to interact with people in all areas of the Company and ability to thrive in a fast paced, multi-site, fast growing organization.
- High level of professionalism with strong values and character that aligns with core Company values of honesty, fairness, hard work, performance and a love of construction.
- Strong work ethic and eagerness to produce high quality results along with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Reviews and understands contract and change orders, including insurance, taxes, payment terms and financial impact of California labor laws.
- Follows and implements proper internal controls, and acts as a main point of contact for any internal or external financial audits.
- Highly skilled in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, Power BI and other data analytics tools.
_Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or Finance. Minimum of 10 years of related work experience required; including comprehensive five years business administration, accounting, general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, forecasting, financial reporting, payroll, tax, labor law and union financial experience, including percentage completion project accounting environment experience. Outstanding knowledge and understanding of applicable California laws and regulations. _
Experience in the Construction, Engineering, or Architecture industry preferred. CPA certification and license are beneficial but not required.
Travel, Physical Demands and Work Environment
Approximately 25% travel to other offices; including the Corporate Headquarters.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Boldt Company does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or agencies. If you have any questions, please contact Boldt's Human Resources Department.