Prepares monthly accounting, analysis, and financial reporting for the Company’s subsidiaries. Serves as an integral part of the monthly general ledger close and quarterly reporting process including the preparation of journal entries, account reconciliations, account analysis and preparation of management reporting including activities that support SOX controls. Assists in the monthly preparation of the consolidated cash flow statement, requiring an understanding of the consolidation process, including intercompany items and eliminations. Coordinates, prepares and submits reports required by the U.S. Surface Transportation Board, including the annual R1 Report and other compliance related reports.
Receives a moderate level of guidance and direction. Solves a range of moderately complex problems. Leads projects of limited scope and portions of larger projects. Provides informal guidance to team members with less experience. Contributes to department objectives and outcomes as guided.
- Participates in the intercompany and equity pick-up processes of the monthly general ledger close process.
- Assists with monthly financial and other accounting analysis for subsidiary accounting, equity investments, and subsidiary restructurings as they occur.
- Prepares stand-alone financial statements and footnotes for subsidiaries and work directly with external auditors
- Contributes to the monthly preparation of the consolidated cash flow statement and quarterly preparation of the condensed consolidating financial statements, requiring an understanding of cash flow statements and the consolidation process, including intercompany items and eliminations.
- Assists with the coordination and preparation of the annual R1 Report, as well as quarterly reporting, to be filed with U.S. Surface Transportation Board and other compliance reports.
- Completes account reconciliations for assigned accounts.
- Adheres to Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) requirements.
- Supports external reporting and the quarterly earnings release process.
- Gathers and prepares support for internal and external auditors, Tax,SEC and other regulatory filings.
- Identifies and recommends process improvements.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- Assists in various research projects related to accounting issues
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university or college, preferably in a job-related major field of study
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Post-secondary education in Accounting or Business
- Three (3) or more years of accounting experience - specific railroad accounting experience is favored
- Experience with consolidation accounts
- Experience with SAP, TM1 and BPC
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Demonstrates solid understanding of consolidated financial statements and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrates self-starter tendencies and displays strong attention to detail and sense of urgency and ability to meet deadline-oriented tasks. Adjusts readily to multiple demands and shifting priorities.
- Prioritizes relationship building with other departments, including contacts in Mexico.
- Displays a sense of materiality and understanding of when to raise a concern.
- Writes reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Computes rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
The duties listed are representative of the job; however, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties a person may be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or is an essential function of the position.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer/Veteran/Disabled. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.