Oversees train operations and is responsible for the safe and efficient movement of all trains within an assigned territory of average scope, size, and volume. Ensures the safety of crews and meets operational and financial targets as outlined by the TSP (Transportation Service Plan) and associated KPI's (Key Performance Indicators).
- Manages the operational testing program by observing, documenting, and evaluating safe work practices per GCOR (General Code of Operating Rules), communicating results, and utilizing the elevation process, if necessary;
- Facilitates employee meetings and programs to emphasize safety and discuss safety risks;
- Investigates accidents and incidents, determines root cause, and resolves or escalates;
- Meets the tactical goals of the TSP (Transportation Service Plan) by managing equipment and staff, reporting results, and recommending solutions. Metrics may include equipment dwell, on-time train origination, right car/right train, work order compliance, customer performance reporting, and consistent accuracy;
- Manages crew starts, crew size, and overtime in a cost effective manner;
- Facilitates smooth transfers between territories;
- May serve as a first responder to critical incidents;
- Makes recommendations regarding hiring, performance, and termination of staff;
- Grows relationships and is an effective partner through strong daily communication with Mechanical, Engineering, Signaling, MLU (Management of Locomotive Utilization), NOC (Network Operations Center), and foreign line carriers;
- Utilizes MCS (Management Control System) and computerized planning tools to create trip plans and make tactical adjustments to the TSP.
- Exemplify KCS Vision, Values and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients and stakeholders.
- High school diploma or GED;
- 2 years of related Management experience in the railroad industry;
- or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bilingual - English/Spanish.
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering, Transportation, Logistics, Business, General Studies or related field
The duties, responsibilities and qualifications in this posting are representative categories to be used by an applicant in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general guidelines do not constitute an exhaustive list of qualifications or essential functions of the position.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer/Veterans/Disabled. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.