This position oversees train operations and is responsible for the safe and efficient movement of all trains within an assigned territory or terminal. It oversees assignment of resources and the management of assets and processes within a terminal or territory. It is accountable for execution of the service plan to include production, quality, cost containment and reassignment of resources as necessary to achieve maximum efficiency. This position ensures the safety of crews and meets operational and financial targets as outlined by the service plan and associated key performance indicators.
Acts as a team lead and coordinates the work of others, supervising the daily activities of operations team members. Applies and enforces guidelines to ensure compliance and equitable application of policies, procedures, practices, programs, processes, and systems and makes suggestions for continued improvement or increased efficiencies. Delivers operational results that align with department commitments. Plans and prioritizes work to meet team commitments. Provides timely and constructive coaching and feedback; develops staff and provides challenging opportunities.
- Ensures compliance to defined operating practices and procedures, promoting a safe work environment.
- Manages the operational testing program by observing, documenting, and evaluating safe work practices per operating rules and takes action as needed based on results.
- Meets the tactical goals of the service plan by managing assets, reporting results, defining problem areas and implementing solutions. Metrics include asset utilization, execution to plan, cost of quality and safety performance.
- Conducts regularly scheduled employee meetings and programs to emphasize safety and discuss mitigation of risks.
- Investigates incidents, determines root cause, escalates findings and implements corrective action as necessary to prevent recurrence.
- Manages resources and assets in a cost effective manner.
- Serves as a first responder to critical incidents when required.
- Makes recommendations regarding hiring and performance management of staff.
- Ensures execution to plan through defined performance expectations with internal service providers and addresses failures to service level commitments.
- Utilizes operating systems and planning tools to proactively identify problem areas and coordinates solutions to the service plan.
- Coordinates with commercial and/or customer solutions unit to satisfy customer expectations.
- Exemplifies KCS Vision, Values, and Culture in each and every interaction with team, clients, and stakeholders.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum seven (7) years of relevant operations experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expertise in one or more disciplines of railroad operations
- Minimum one (1) year of experience directly or indirectly leading a team
- Bachelor's degree in Industrial Engineering, Transportation, Logistics, Business, General Studies or related field;
- Experience managing employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement;
- Two (2) years of experience supervising employees in a fast-paced, outdoor environment in all types of weather conditions;
- Experience in a position with travel up to 100% or more as part of the job;
- Ability to relocate within the KCS Railway operating system upon career progression or to meet business needs;
- Previous experience in the use and application of enterprise resource planning tools (e.g., operating systems, SAP, PeopleSoft, etc.);
- Bilingual - English/Spanish.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions;
- Ability to walk on uneven terrain.
The duties, responsibilities and qualifications in this posting are representative categories to be used by an applicant in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general guidelines do not constitute an exhaustive list of qualifications or essential functions of the position.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer/Veterans/Disabled. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.