The Y in Central Maryland ranks in the top 10 Membership Ys in North America, and is top 12 ranked by revenue. With a footprint that includes over 100 locations throughout central Maryland, we are recognized as a workplace of choice by several regional organizations, including Baltimore Magazine, and employ nearly 2,700 full-time and part-time Associates. We positively impact the lives of over 300,000 Maryland residents each year, and are striving to reach more than 350,000 Marylanders as we execute our Impact 2020 strategic plan for growth and increased service.
The Y in Central Maryland is seeking a dynamic individual to be a Camp and Family Director at The Ward Y in Abingdon. This position will plan, coordinate and oversee and/or deliver all youth, teen, family, events. Supervises non-swim youth/teen and Stay and Play programs. Supervises center-based camp operations: leads and directs the supervision of campers and staff in all daily activities and operations; manages the camp facility/site development, customer service needs and programming to ensure a quality camp experience. Develops and manages dept. 03 and 04 budgets. Demonstrates the Y's commitment to its core values of respect, responsibility, honesty and caring in all actions to serve as a role model.
Must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs, engage and participate in all camp related activities with campers (swim, sports, crafts), work in extreme outdoor weather conditions (sun, heat, rain) and in various environmental conditions (woods, beaches, fields, streams, nature trails).
- Accepts that quantity of work hours weekly will fluctuate, and may include nights and weekend hours
- Intellectual and cognitive requirements (collaborative, teamwork, decision making, analysis, etc)
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Physically able to successfully complete required job functions, including use of hands, arms, fingers, able to talk and hear, use a computer, sit and stand, regularly move/lift up to 50 pounds, enter all YMCA environments (office spaces, indoor and outdoor maintenance/mechanical areas, fitness areas, sports fields, pool and pool space, camping areas, unimproved outdoor locations and other program areas).
- Manage a camp enrollment of 200+ campers, supervise a group of 30 - 70 associates, and be responsible for monitoring the total budget including payroll and program supplies. Willing to work at multiple camp locations within the same region.
- Manage Center-based youth and family events, Stay and Play, youth sports and other fee-based non-swim youth programs; including 25 associates
- Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served, cause driven measures, service satisfaction scores, operating results, and supervisor evaluation of assigned duties.
- Must complete all training and attend all planning meetings as assigned.
- An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. The requirements may include background check, drug test, driver’s license record, CPS, and/or criminal background check.
- Additional drivers license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.
- Create and implement youth development (cognitive and physical) fee-based programs
- Ability to research, plan and develop programs.
- Customer service/parent relations
- Responsible for ensuring budgetary resources are used effectively and efficiently
- Supervise, evaluate and lead staff effectively.
- Ability to work with and communicate with age groups assigned
- Plans, coordinates and instructs youth, teen, family & senior programs.
- Trains and supervises staff and volunteers.
- Coordinates marketing efforts to promote programs.
- Ability to multi task at a very high level with capability of executing each task in timely manner
- Must be able to effectively communicate and collaborate with staff and center leadership.
- Others duties as assigned
- At least 25 years of age
- 2 years experience working in a youth programs (prior experience with summer camp required)
- 1 year experience supervising others
- Familiar with ACA and DHMH regulations and requirements
- Certifications: CPR and First Aid; Required within first year of employment: YUSA Day Camp Director, Asset Building, Working with Youth Ages 5-12, Working with Teens Ages 12-17. In addition, attendance at one or more Y USA trainings leading to Team Leader Certification
- Attends all training and meetings within the designated time frame