BVP is an INTENTIONALLY DIVERSE network of tuition-free public charter schools. As a founding member of the National Coalition of Diverse Charter Schools, BVP offers a high-quality school choice to the families of Central Falls, Cumberland, Lincoln, and Pawtucket.
We believe firmly that all scholars can achieve success in college and the world beyond, so we proactively work to foster a college prep culture. Apart from academics, we believe that preparing scholars for the world beyond also means experiencing the diversity of the world we live in today. Our network is designed to be diverse, accepting students from two traditionally higher-income communities of Cumberland and Lincoln and two from predominantly lower-income communities of Pawtucket and Central Falls. We seek to create a staff with a similarly diverse set of backgrounds and experiences that reflect the diversity of our students, families, and communities. Blackstone Valley Prep (BVP) Mayoral Academy is now hiring ROCKSTAR TEAM MEMBERS who are willing to do whatever it takes to put all scholars on a path to college. Successful candidates will should understand and advocate for the importance of diversity in classrooms, curricula, and throughout school systems.
Learn more about why BVP is different.
EXPECTATIONS OF A BVP TEAM MEMBER INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
- Acts on the belief that 100% of scholars can be successful in college and the world beyond
- Embraces the diversity of the BVP community by fostering an environment of respect and inclusion while actively working to build an equitable school community
- Cultivates positive identity formation for scholars and prepares them to live and work together in a diverse world
- Is results driven, with excellent planning and organizing skills, and a “do whatever it takes” attitude and work ethic
- Engages meaningfully in school and network professional growth opportunities and enhances professional growth by giving and seeking assistance from other team members
- Acts ethically and with integrity while following all school, network, and state policies
- Engages families as partners in scholar success while recognizing and respecting differences in family backgrounds, structures, and cultures
OPPORTUNITIES AND BENEFITS FOR A BVP TEAM MEMBER INCLUDE (BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO):
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive medical and dental plan
- Internal hiring to capitalize on individual strengths and interests
- Referral and return bonuses
- Ongoing opportunities for professional development and tuition reimbursement
- All staff members receive 7 personal days per year
- Opportunities for curriculum development
- 401(k) retirement plan that is 100% vested immediately with an employer match of 5%
In addition, MATH TEACHERS are expected to:
- Facilitate the online learning process and encourage personalized learning goals for scholars
- Assist and monitor scholars on effective use of technical devices for academic purposes
- Mentor scholars in developing personalized learning strategies, emotional intelligence, and self-directed learning behaviors
- Create an environment of respect and rapport
- Collaborate with team members for planning and reflective practice
- Establish a culture of learning that reflects the educational importance of the work undertaken by both scholars and teachers
- Establish and monitor routines and procedures for the smooth operation of the classroom and the efficient use of time
- Manage scholar behavior to allow for high levels of engagement with the content
- Model a precise and expressive use of language to effectively communicate with scholars, including: expectations for learning, directions for activities, and explanations of content
- Use questions, prompts, and discussion techniques to cognitively challenge scholars, advance high-level thinking and discourse, and promote metacognition
- Intellectually engage all scholars in learning through well-designed learning tasks and activities that require complex thinking, and include appropriate scaffolding
- Utilize formative and summative assessments to drive instructional planning, monitor scholar learning, provide feedback to scholars, and facilitate scholars’ self-monitoring of learning
- A minimum of two years teaching experience in a diverse public school setting preferred, but not required
- A bachelor’s degree is required
- Bilingual candidates preferred, but not required
- Experience with personalized learning and the ability to leverage technology to help all scholars succeed
- SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS MUST HOLD AN APPROPRIATE RHODE ISLAND TEACHER CERTIFICATION BY THEIR DATE OF HIRE. RHODE ISLAND OFFERS RECIPROCITY WITH OVER 30 STATES ACROSS THE COUNTRY. LEARN MORE HERE.
Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter highlighting your alignment with our mission online. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we regretfully can only respond to those candidates who best meet the requirements of a specific position or whose backgrounds are generally applicable to our team. If you are selected to advance in the hiring process, you will be contacted by a BVP team member.
Blackstone Valley Prep Mayoral Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, sex, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or ancestry.