CHIEF COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS
CLASSIFICATION: Level 5 / Class Code 6220 / Full-Time / Exempt / Benefited
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $100,000.00 – 140,000.00 annually (commensurate with qualifications)
Reporting to the Chancellor & Dean, and working with multiple departments at the school, the Chief Communications Officer will lead a small but dynamic marketing and communications team at UC Hastings Law, overseeing internal and external communications and strategic marketing across a variety of media.
This position will be responsible for developing and executing a comprehensive strategic communications plan to promote the UC Hastings Law brand and mission; and for increasing and improving UC Hastings' public profile through brand-building initiatives using marketing, media communications, visual communications, website development, social media, and publications production; and for developing and implementing an integrated plan to strengthen brand identity and internal communications of the law school.
Typical duties and responsibilities consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Develops and implements elite law school-level strategic communications plan. Manages comprehensive communications programs and projects.
- Partners with UC Hastings departments and/or administration to create, develop, and implement long and short-term, internal and external, strategic communications plans and projects, including working with the Academic Dean, Associate Dean for Research, and leadership of our centers to highlight scholarship and achievements.
- Works with the Chancellor & Dean, Alumni Development Office, Career Development Office, and the Office of Enrollment Management, as needed, to support marketing and communications initiatives targeted to relevant audiences.
- As the campus's webmaster, optimizes external website format and content to support the College's mission and digital outreach campaigns, executes strategies that improve overall website and intranet usability, and ensures excellent user experience and engagement
- Builds awareness and excitement around UC Hastings events and engagements.
- Advises and consults with law school leadership and other law school administrators and faculty regarding all aspects of communications, including developing strong communications strategies that effectively deliver the desired message, policy interpretation, problem resolution, et cetera.
- Researches, develops, produces, and curates written/visual/digital content for web sites, social media, print publications, speeches, media events, or broadcast communications as needed. Additionally, monitors and analyzes all such activities.
- Coordinates with Chancellor & Dean to respond to sensitive public inquires and issues, ensuring tact, diplomacy, and political acumen while maintaining institutional integrity. Ensures public response aligns with strategic vision for College. Assists in supporting the overall emergency preparedness portfolio for the College.
- Responsible for the employment/selection, training, development, performance management and evaluation, counselling, and discipline of assigned employees.
- Manages professional staff responsible for producing a variety of communication pieces in a variety of venues or mediums including written, visual, or electronic communications. Ensures that staff maintain current knowledge of trends, best practices, and new developments in the field of communications.
- Ensures production of high quality products that effectively deliver the desired message within budget and time constraints.
- Other duties as may be required in the area of communications or marketing, or otherwise affecting the reputation, image, brand, or identity of UC Hastings or its faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of UX and marketing principles, theories, and concepts to manage website communications and provide solutions. Breadth and depth of web design knowledge sufficient for strategic planning, technology assessment, and direction.
- Strong knowledge of current affairs and issues in higher education, especially legal education. Knowledge of the culture and needs of the legal academy and primary target audiences in the field of law, including alumni, prospective students, prospective employers of students, the practicing bar and judiciary, and prospective professors.
- Knowledge and understanding of technical applications to effectively manage/supervise professional technical staff, including design concepts, various media and mediums, applications, et cetera.
- Knowledge of or demonstrated ability to learn about UC Hastings' history, its achievements, mission, vision, goals, policies, practices and infrastructure.
- Knowledge of financial and personnel management, including understanding of management techniques, guiding principles, relevant laws, policies and best practices.
- Management skills to select, train, evaluate, lead, direct, guide and motivate subordinate staff to produce high quality work; skill to take corrective action as required.
- Skills to create, develop and implement comprehensive long and short term strategic communications plans.
- Knowledge and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired messages to target and broad general audiences.
- Exceptional written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, project management and problem recognition, avoidance and resolution skills.
- Strong skills to ensure production of high quality work within budget and time constraints.
- Ability to occasionally work unconventional hours and travel.
- Ability to work well within a team and collaborate with others within the department and across the law school.
- Familiarity with UC policies, practices, and history, or demonstrated ability to learn and apply such knowledge preferred
HEALTH AND WELFARE BENEFITS
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts for transportation-related, healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Employee Assistance Program
FOR YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE
- Life Insurance, Disability Insurance, and Legal Insurance
- University of California Retirement Plan (defined benefit)
- Deferred Compensation Plans/Pre-tax Retirement Savings Programs
FOR YOUR WORK/LIFE BALANCE
- Fourteen paid holidays per year
- Generous vacation and sick leave
- Commuter Benefits Program
THE HIRING PROCESS
Failure to provide the information as required on the application and/or instructions to apply shall immediately disqualify an applicant from employment consideration.
Please note: This position has been designated as “sensitive” and requires a pre-employment background check.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please contact Human Resources if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
WHAT TO EXPECT
Applicants who meet the position requirements will be competitively evaluated to identify the individuals whose breadth and depth of experience and education most closely relate to the stated requirements and the needs of the College. Not all applicants will be contacted for an interview.
The position is open until filled.
The skills listed above are comprehensive, and we understand there are great candidates who possess only a subset of those skills, or who have other important skills. If you match some of these skills, please do not hesitate to apply.
UC Hastings College of the Law is an Equal Opportunity Employer. UC Hastings strives to provide a diverse and inclusive educational environment that fosters cultural awareness, mutual understanding and respect. UC Hastings College of the Law is interested in candidates who will contribute to diversity and equal opportunity in higher education through their teaching. Qualified women and members of underrepresented minority groups are strongly encouraged to apply.