Our front-end engineers operate at the intersection of design thinking, product management and data-driven development, and are trusted to deliver features that make working together on data more straight-forward, productive, and enjoyable.
In this position, you will work with the designers, product owners and other engineers to craft best-in-class user experiences that help cross-functional teams work together on data projects, derive meaningful insights, and make data-informed decisions.
At data.world, you will:
- Design and craft high-quality, well-tested and reusable code.
- Work iteratively and collaboratively with designers, product owners, and other engineering team members on production-ready features.
- Work in a dynamic, agile, and data-driven environment and have true ownership of the features you work on, from requirements gathering to A/B test definition.
- Contribute to the health and stability of our products through monitoring, instrumentation and maintenance of the day-to-day front-end operational aspects of the platform.
- Make data-driven decisions about what to build and how to build it based on real-world user testing.
- 3+ YEARS EXPERIENCE AS AN ENGINEER. You have experience shipping web-based products. You've worked with designers and product owners to develop and deliver workflows and libraries.
- STRONG WRITTEN, VERBAL, AND VISUAL COMMUNICATION SKILLS. You should be able to articulate your decisions, whiteboard new solutions, present ideas concisely to product leadership, and defend your ideas.
- AN APPETITE TO TRY NEW THINGS. You're curious and excited to improve your process, and always looking to learn. You ask questions and don't shy away from challenges.
- JUST ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT OPERATIONS AND BACK-END DEVELOPMENT TO BE DANGEROUS. You are familiar with modern service-oriented architecture and are comfortable diving into logs.
- JUST ENOUGH KNOWLEDGE ABOUT DESIGN AND UX TO BE DANGEROUS. You're not a designer, but you _might_ need a Sketch license to quickly mock up an idea. You understand best practices and articulate what works with examples.
Technologies you will see
- webpack, Flow, Next.js
- Monaco, Draft.js
- AWS (S3, Kinesis, DynamoDB, etc)
- RDF & SPARQL
- Java, Scala
Perks and benefits
- THE USUAL SUSPECTS: market compensation with a generous bonus structure, health/dental/vision insurance
- NOT SO USUAL SUSPECTS: education credits, charitable donation matching to the organization of your choice, and event ticket giveaways
- Catered lunch 4x per week, all the snacks, coffee, Yerba Mate, and beer you can handle
- Regularly scheduled team events including game nights, rock climbing, and cocktail competitions
- A flexible work environment with an understanding that employees are people with lives outside of the office
- A tight-knit team of startup veterans with integrity, passion, and curiosity for days
More about data.world
data.world was founded in early 2016 and has raised $33 million from leading investors. data.world is has an experienced co-founding team that previously held leadership roles at HomeAway and Bazaarvoice. data.world is a B-Corp with a mission to build the world's most collaborative, abundant, and meaningful data resource.
We've been named to the Austin Business Journal's Best Places to Work list every year since the company was founded and were named to the Austin Chamber of Commerce's A-List of Hottest Startups in 2017.
WE VALUE TRANSPARENCY. We explain our decisions, how we arrived at them, and share our Board updates with the team.
WE TAKE PRIDE IN WHAT WE DO. We commit and we deliver.
WE ARE NOT AFRAID OF MISTAKES. We take calculated risks and strategically push boundaries.
OUR FOCUS IS FIERCE, BUT IT'S NOT ALL HARD WORK. You might see us bouldering, cheering on our COO at an American Ninja Warrior taping, or sharing a pitcher at Draught House.