SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out
exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are
not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this
possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SENIOR MODEM ENGINEER
- Provide expertise in digital signal processing and digital
communications systems architecture.
- Provide expertise in performance verification of modem system
- Generate spacecraft and consumer equipment modem system
specifications, requirements and test procedures.
- Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering.
- 7+ years of work experience.
- 5+ years of experience in channel coding such as LDPC, turbo codes,
Reed-Solomon or convolutional codes.
- 5+ years of experience in working on communication systems that are
multiple access such as TDMA, CDMA and FDMA.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Masters of Science in electrical engineering with emphasis in
communication systems and digital signal processing.
- Familiarity with radio related test equipment such as
- Experience modeling RF and channel impariments such as multipath,
phase noise, group delay, fading and nonlinear distortion.
- Expertise in developing signal processing algorithms in Matlab.
- Experience designing multirate digital filter design, implementation
and hardware architecture.
- Understanding of link budgets and RF system noise analysis, as well
as intermodulation analysis related to communication systems.
- Experience in coherent digital demodulation of waveforms such as
BPSK, QPSK, QAM, PCM/FM, APSK, SC-FDMA, OFDM and OFDMA.
- Direct experience in continuous carrier systems and packet based
systems that require a burst mode receiver.
- Experience in Digital Pre-Distortion.
- Understanding RF up conversion and down conversion trade-offs.
- Experience with Spread Spectrum modems.
- Modem systems design, end-to-end simulation (C/C++, MATLAB, HDL),
RTL implementation, and debugging in hardware and software.
- Familiarity with Software-Defined Radios (SDR) and optimization of
- Must be available to work extended hours and weekends as needed.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations,
including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you
must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S.,
protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible
to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department
of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is
governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will
not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender,
national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age,
sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical
disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan
for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring
reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should
notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.