On the Job

A Day in the Life of a NYC Fashion Intern

This is a guest post by Julia Lucia for Student Stories. 

5:45am –Wake up and roll out of bed.  I like to have time to fully wake up, get ready, and eat breakfast; I hate the feeling of being chaotically rushed in the morning. Then I go through my usual primping regimen: the most detailed part being my make-up routine, which has been perfected over the past 8 years. I consider myself to be somewhat of a connoisseur of mascara, an eyelash architect, if you will.

7:45am –My train leaves for Penn Station. I have 3 playlists for my commute that I go between, depending on my mood: 1. A mix of Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday for when I’m feeling romantic, which is more often than not. 2. Norah Jones, for when I’m feeling nostalgic. 3. A variety of pop music: Mumford & Sons, Lorde, The Lumineers, which basically covers all of my other moods.

9:00 am – Make a stop by one of Stone & Strand’s designers’ studios to pick up the jewelry for the day.

9:30 am – Grab my second cup of coffee at my favorite corner café in SoHo, Gasoline Alley, and go directly to the office to start the work day.

10:00 amI start each day by spending 45 minutes on Stone & Strand’s Pinterest; pinning everything from new products on our website to fun and inspiring photos.

11:00 am – I begin each weekly photo shoot by setting up all of the jewelry that will be shot for the day. We start with on body photos and I’m proud to say I can officially add “hand model” to my resume. Complimentary weekly manicures have become a standard, a definite perk that I was not expecting; my go to color being Essie’s “Ballet Slippers.”

1:00 pm – We flex our creative muscle and take fun Instagram shots for the Stone & Strand account; playing with props, textures, themes, etc. We try to find inspiration in anything, from sassy colored lipstick tubes to old wooden doors on the streets of SoHo.

2:00 pm – Mid-day I’ll return to my desk to work on our current online marketing campaigns.  This could range from re-designing a product add for a Facebook campaign to completing a marketing analysis of a Retargeting campaign.

3:00 pm –Head with the team to a meeting with a potential new designer to check out his/her collection. It’s amazing how quickly one gets used to trying on $10,000 rings or $15,000 bracelets.  At any given moment I could have a hand full of Crow’s Nest Feather Rings on totaling over $50,000.

5:30pmI leave the office to drop off the daily orders at USPS/FedEx/UPS and head uptown to attend a networking event. I’ll usually stop to grab a slice or two of pizza for dinner, after all it is NYC.

6:00 pm – While walking to the train, I make my daily “How was your day” phone call to my boyfriend, whom is 6 hours away in Pharmacy School.

7:00 pm – The networking event starts and I settle in sipping on a glass of complimentary wine and nibbling on some fruit and cheese. I have gotten to rub elbows with the Global Creative Director of Revlon Cosmetics, the co-founder of the marketing website Contently and one of the founders of EasyBib, just to name a few.

9:00 pm – After the event wraps up I head to Penn Station to catch my train home. I normally very happily get a cup of coffee from Dunkin Donuts; a medium French Vanilla with skim milk – in case you were wondering.  If I’m feeling wild, sometimes I switch to Hazelnut.

About the Author:

My name is Julia Lucia. I am a senior Italian Literature and Language Arts Major at Binghamton University, State University of New York; however, all of my experiential education has been in the fields of marketing and business development.  Currently I am the Marketing Intern at Stone & Strand, the world’s leading online fine jewelry destination, based in NYC. Upon graduation in May, I hope to pursue a career in social media and communications. My ultimate career goal is to combine both my traditional education in Italian Literature and Language and my experiential education in marketing.

Thomas Martino

Published by
Thomas Martino

Recent Posts

Want a Career that Matters? Discover Tata Consultancy Services and its Corporate Social Responsibility Leadership

Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) is an IT services, consulting and business solutions organization that has…

3 days ago

How ‘Early Careers’ at Tata Consultancy Services Prepares You for a Career with Impact

Taking a leap and joining an internship can come with many unknowns – Will I…

4 days ago

From interns to analysts with Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program

Capital One’s Analyst Internship Program (AIP) is the launchpad for a satisfying career in business…

4 days ago

Help Change the World by Interning at Arup

If you have not heard of Arup, you have likely seen their firm’s work firsthand…

3 months ago

Want a Career with Impact? Work at the American Heart Association

When looking to start your career, you consider the type of work involved, but do…

3 months ago

Learn How The Estée Lauder Companies Champions Diversity & Career Advancement in the Beauty Industry

Like many industries, the beauty industry has grown to be one of the fastest evolving…

4 months ago